Thursday, January 17, 2013

"Home Again Home Again Jigetty-Jig"

I can't tell you how many times I've announced these words to my living room - it's one of my favorite lines from the movie Bladerunner. (And you thought I was going to say "Mother Goose" didn't you?)

My other favorite quote from this haunting movie is when Rutger Hauer's line “I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.... All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

Perhaps that's why Twitter and Facebook are so important to us all these days...they are ways to memorialize those moments in our lives that we just don't want to lose. I don't have a personal Facebook page because I know I'd never be off it. My CapeWomenOnline magazine Facebook page is all I can cope with, but I do have a Twitter account: https://twitter.com/capecodnic 

My twitter profile shares another favorite quote, this time from T.S. Eliot: "They make noises, and think they are talking to each other...is that a delusion?...Remember that at every meeting we are meeting a stranger."

Is that all we're doing? Making noises? Is anyone even listening? 
 
I visited my dad in Nigeria when I was sixteen and Blade Runner was the only video that worked on his ancient VCR player. The Television was so crap that all we had to watch was this video...over and over again. These lines have stayed with me...funny how words define moments that then follow us around for the rest of our lives.

I saw my dad for the first time in eight years over the Holidays - it was wonderful. We chatted away in his kitchen as if a day hadn't passed beteween us. That's the beauty of family - you just cut through the bullshit and get right down to the business of talking - I mean REALLY talking. 

Of course the night ended in tears when we had to say goodbye too soon. I have no idea when I'll see my dad, his wife, or my two half-sisters again. But I do know that our one evening together was enough to reconnect us.

I have MANY digital images and a few videos of our visit (the wonders of technology) but more importantly I have their voices echoing around my head. Phantoms of memory blending with desire to return sooner rather than later this time.

Sometimes words are just letters all jumbled up together - but sometimes they are all we have to remind us of how lucky we are to have family to go home to.  

"Home again, home again, jiggety-jig..."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment